The Laurel Glen Vineyard has a long and storied past. Originally planted to mixed red varietals by german immigrants in the late 1880’s, it was replanted to cabernet sauvignon in 1968 by Carmen Taylor, who also gave the property its name. The original cabernet sauvignon vines, as well as earlier varieties, can still be found on the property.
Recognized even then for its distinctive characteristics, the Cabernet Sauvignon from Laurel Glen Vineyard was sold to Chateau St. Jean and designated as a single-vineyard wine.
In 1977, Patrick Campbell purchased the property and began to expand the original three acre vineyard. One of the vines planted in 1968 became the parent material for additional Cabernet plantings and the Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon Clone, developed by Campbell and certified by the University of California at Davis.
The first estate wine was produced from the 1981 vintage. The first vintage of Laurel Glen Counterpoint, made from the earlier-drinking lots harvested each year, was produced from the 1986 vintage.